Friday, September 9, 2011

Walking Meditation

Many people like to meditate by sitting in a quiet room and becoming very still for stretches of time.


Some I know personally are really good at that too!  The internet, as well, is full of stories and experiences of those people.

When I am still for any great length of time, I tend to fall asleep; my individual process is a bit more eclectic; most especially after experiencing what I call a spiritual awakening in 1988.

These days attaining a state of conscious bliss can occur while tuning into the frequencies of notes in particular songs, activating automatic writing sessions and, or sometimes even dancing.

Feeling grounded (what I coin conscious living through my heart and head at the same time) keeps me present and observant; without attachment towards making something or someone fit my own, unique perception or belief system.

One of the influences that helped was reading and listening to Eckart Tolle’s , “The Power of Now” as he and I had a similar experience with “awakening”.

One of my favorite ways to feel grounded and meditative is walking.  Not just anywhere though.

There is a particular park that is teeming with natural life in abundance; it houses numerous trees, flowers, birds, squirrels, butterflies, and last, yet not least, a wonderful winding, creek.



Walking here always activates peace.




Watching the flow of the creek, after a rain is delicious!
Feeling one with nature always refreshes and recharges my internal batteries nature reminds me there is no hurry to get anywhere, as it gives itself permission to dance it’s own, particular rhythms and beats without defending it’s essence to any other kind of species different than itself.

I wonder too...how many of us…humans… give ourselves this same permission?

Seems as the industrial age came up with a systematic, educational plan that leaned towards attaining some sort of “blueprint for success” humans became more and more “cookie cutter” by following someone else’s lead and direction.  

Take a look at the 50’s professional dress code for example











Also current “school uniforms”.  observing cookie cutter uniforms always activates this question inside ..."does dressing the same way as someone else really serve our divine, intuitive, individual, creative best?





Life on that systematic track seemed to become more of a chore…increasing the perception of having never enough time to complete deadlines and obligations…thus squeezing the very essence that comes with the joy of just being who we are...creative, engaging, playful, fun.









Leaving Corporate America after the birth of my third child has helped me gain a clearer perspective around experiencing greater freedom towards relaxing into my own rhythm and style; without the need to justify and defend how it may look different than someone else’s.

Although there can be days that feel more challenging than others, especially with the demands that arise within the circle of family relationships, am more content these days to be able to experience, and appreciate, anothers unique and different rhythm and style, as is, as well.









 
Connecting with the natural rhythms during walks in nature definitely makes any of those challenges much easier to release and resolve.




Around this bend is lots of furry friends!









 Midway through my walk :)


 







Love the way the wind softly moves through these :)








The gifts of nature my walking meditation gives is priceless.  May you enjoy your meditation, how ever that looks, as well as I do!

Til next time...




Namaste,

Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment